Kissan Jam Cookies
Here is a small and sweet little treats you can give your kids for their tiffin, so that they finish it completely and get you back an empty tiffin.
2 cups refined flour (maida)
125 grams frozen butter, chopped
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
4-5 tablespoons Kissan Mixed Fruit jam
50 grams unsalted butter, softened
½ cup icing sugar
1. Sift the flour into a bowl and rub the butter with your fingertips. Add the sugar, egg and vanilla essence and mix into a soft dough. Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease two baking trays.
3. Roll out the dough thinly on a lightly floured surface and cut into rounds with a two-and-a-half inch cutter. Re-roll the trimmings and cut into more rounds. You should get around thirty rounds.
4. Place fifteen rounds on a baking tray. With a small three-fourth inch heart-shaped cookie cutter cut out the centres of the remaining rounds. Place the cut-out rounds on the second baking tray. Bake in the preheated oven for about twelve minutes or until pale golden. Remove from the oven and transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
5. For the filling, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Spread the butter cream evenly on the whole cookies. Spoon a little jam over the butter cream, place the cut-out cookies on top, pressing gently so that the jam fills the heart-shaped space.