Kissan Chatpat Aloo Dum
Time to surprise your kids with this new accompaniment in their next tiffin!
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
⅛ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 medium onion, ground to a paste
½ tablespoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder or paprika
2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
2-3 tablespoon Kissan Sweet and Spicy Sauce, or to taste
1 ½ tablespoons tamarind juice
1-1 ½ teaspoons salt or to taste
1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
1 kg small whole potatoes, boiled in salted water and peeled
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds,
½ teaspoon peppercorns, dry-roasted and ground to a fine powder
2 dried red chillies
1. Heat the oil in a kadhai or pan; add the asafoetida and sauté for a few seconds. Add the chopped onion and fry till golden.
2. Add the onion paste and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the ginger paste, turmeric and both chilli powders and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry until all the ingredients are well blended and sizzling.
4. Stir in Kissan Sweet and Spicy Sauce and tamarind juice and mix well. Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil.
5. Stir in salt and sugar and boil uncovered for 5-7 minutes, stirring once in a while.
6. Add the potatoes, mix well and boil briskly for 5 minutes. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until the gravy thickens and clings to the potatoes. Adjust seasoning.
7. Add the cumin seeds, pepper powder and whole red chillies. Toss to mix.
8. Chatpat Aloo Dum goes perfectly with luchi (poories) or kochuri.